Adam Seybert Professor in Moral and Intellectual Philosophy
Director, Visual Studies Undergraduate Program (& Sector A advisor)
Institute for Research in Cognitive Science
Center for Cognitive Neuroscience
- History of Modern Philosophy
- Philosophy of Psychology
- Theories of Vision
- Philosophy of Science
- The Natural and the Normative: Theories of Spatial Perception from Kant to Helmholtz. Cambridge: MIT Press/Bradford Books, 1990, xii+366.
- Kant's Prolegomena to Any Future Metaphysics, translated, with introduction, notes, and selections from the Critique of Pure Reason. Cambridge Texts in the History of Philosophy. Cambridge University Press, 1997. Revised edition, with additional Critique selections and the Göttingen and Gotha reviews, 2004.
- Edition of Kant's Prolegomena, with translator's introduction, apparatus, and notes. In Theoretical Philosophy After 1781, ed. by Henry Allison and Peter Heath. Cambridge Edition of the Works of Immanuel Kant. Cambridge University Press, 2002.
- Descartes' Meditations.
London: Routledge, 2014, xxi+364.
Chinese translation of first edition (simplified characters), by Shang Xin Jian (Peking University). Guilin City: Guangxi Normal University Press, 2007.
Chinese translation of first edition (complex characters), by Chou Chun-tang (Huafan University, Taiwan). Taipei: Wu Nan Press, 2009.
- Perception and Cognition: Essays in the Philosophy of Psychology. Oxford: Clarendon Press, 2009, xiv+533.
- Visual Experience: Sensation, Cognition, and Constancy, ed. Gary Hatfield and Sarah Allred. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2012.
- The Evolution of Mind, Brain, and Culture, ed. Gary Hatfield and Holly Pittman. Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press, 2013.
Articles and Chapters
See web vita for partial list: http://www.sas.upenn.edu/~hatfield/vitae.html
See Homepage for pdfs of selected articles and chapters